Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blog Post #7

I was tasked with watching a few videos. I found most of them really useful and informative. My thoughts are below.

1.

I think I gained a good bit from this. The most important part of this being that as an English teacher I can utilize this as a way to help students study. I could even read the stories to them if I really wanted to. In this age most teens have smartphones so they could actually benefit from something like this.

2.

In this video IPad reading centers are being used to help kids learn to read. Unfortunately, for the grade level I would be teaching this won't be very useful. However, I could still use this as a cool way for me to teach my class without being there. Which will be great for days I know I won't be at school.

3.

This video is about Poplet and how it can be used to help students learn to type better as well as group visuals with text. Once again, this would be great with children of a much younger age as opposed to high school age children. However, it could be used for things like projects and the like if implemented correctly.

4.

I actually used the Alabama Virtual Library when I was in school and I am glad to see that is still a popular tool being used today. I will actually be giving my students an assignment to acclimate them to the AVL so this video was great!

5.

For this video it is showing off Discovery Education Builder. This is pretty good for looking for cool information about things like science or in history. I could see myself using this if I want to add a historical element to me work.

6.

This video shows you how to incorporate Board Builder into your class. I can see this being useful for presentations in class.

7.

The central thing I took away from this video was that you never stop learning. Every generation will be smarter than the last. We need to learn to let them teach us as well and we can really advance as a society.

3 comments:

  1. You did a good job summarizing the videos. I agree that if you are planning on teaching high school that some of these tools will not be as beneficial to you, but I think that it is great that you have thought of other ways to use them other than how they are being used in the videos. You did have a few mistakes in your post. On the third video, the sentence "However...if implemented correctly" could be changed; also, on the fifth video, you said "...to add a historical element to me work." when it should be my work. You might want to fix those things, but other than that, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sterling! I like that you had each video embedded in your posts with a brief summary below. It makes is very organized and easy to read. Most of these videos are geared toward lower elementary but you could get some ideas for project based learning lessons for your high school students also. I saw that you used the Alabama Virtual Library when you were in school so you were already familiar with it. The last sentence in your video 5 summary says "I could see myself using this if I want to add a historical element to me work.". You may want to change me to my. I really liked the sentence "Every generation will be smarter that the last." because it is true. Learning tools, technology, and teaching strategies are constantly evolving which makes it easier for students to learn. Great post and good luck this semester!

    Callie Barton

    ReplyDelete